1086 ‘Domesday Book’ Survey. Thorkell of Warwick held Rugby, spelt Rocheberie.
1140 First mention of St Andrew’s Church in Rugby.
1221 Simon the Decon (Deacon) is the first known priest in Rugby. Henry de Rokeby makes arrangement with Leicester Abbey, so Henry can appoint subsequent priests, a major step towards becoming a separate parish.
1255 Market charter granted to Rugby by a statute of Henry III (to Sir Henry de Rokeby).
This was for a weekly market on Saturdays and a yearly fair from 9th to 11th August.
1298 Rugby Parish Rectory income assessed as £5 per year.
1327 Manor of Rugby granted the right to hold a Court Leet.
1349 Ralph, Lord Stafford purchased the manor of Rugby and advowson of St Andrew’s.
1460 Humphrey Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham, died, holding the Manor of Rugby. His 2nd son Henry inherited.
1483 Manor of Rugby in the dower of Countess of Richmond, widow of Sir Henry Stafford, and mother of Henry VII.
1484 Rugby manor confiscated from Countess of Richmond by Richard III.
1485 Rugby manor restored by Henry VII to his mother, the Countess of Richmond.
1508 The will of Richard Fosterd founded a charity to maintain bridges over the Avon in Rugby and Newbold. (Some sources give the date as 1558.)
c1515 Lawrence Sheriff born in Rugby.
1521 Rugby manor granted by Crown to Sir Gilbert Talboys.
1558 (Alternative date for creation of Fosterd Bridge Charity – see 1508).
1560 Lady Elizabeth Dudley sold the manor of Rugby and advowson to John Wyrley.
1562 69 households attended St Andrews in Rugby. (This excludes recusant Catholics and dissenting Protestants.)
1567 Lawrence Sheriff dies and leaves a London estate to fund a Grammar School (now Rugby School) and 4 Almshouses for old men.
1594 Richard and Susannah Burnabye purchased the manor of Rugby and advowson for £2,100.
1632 James Nalton, a noted Puritan preacher, was appointed as Rugby rector.
1634 A serious fire and an outbreak of plague occurred in Rugby.
1642 Charles I passed through Rugby.
1645 Large force of Parliamentarians and Cromwell quartered in Rugby about two months before the Battle of Naseby.
1652 Extra rates collected towards costs of repairs to Rugby Parish church.
1660 Four tradesmen in Rugby struck copper tokens for local money circulation, due to shortage of official coins. (Tokens banned by Statute in 1676.)
1662 The George Inn built in Market Place, Rugby.
1663 Hearth tax in Rugby applied to 94 houses containing a total of 213 hearths; a further 66 small houses, with one hearth each, were exempt from the tax.
1669 Bennfield House (“Bennfields”) built in North Street, Rugby.
1688 Drury Lane was known as Tinkers Lane at this time.
1690 King William III passed through Hillmorton on his way to Ireland and stayed at the Manor House in Rugby.
1707 Richard Elborowe founded a Charity School and almshouses in High Street, Rugby, shortly before his death.
1710 Severe smallpox epidemic in Rugby resulting in 53 burials, normally less than 20.
1716 Serious fire in Rugby.
1719 Another serious fire in Rugby.
1720 William Boughton of Bilton (1682-1720) purchased the rights and privileges of the Manor of Rugby from Frances Burnaby.
Henry Plowman of Northampton purchased the manorial estate of Rugby from Frances Burnaby.
The rights and privileges of the Manor of Rugby were bequeathed by William Boughton on his death to his sister in law Ann Boughton (d. 1729).
1721 Rugby rates accounts mention the ducking stool.
1729 William Boughton (1718 - 46) succeeded his mother, Ann Boughton, on her death to the Manor of Rugby.
Boughton House built in North Street by Edward Boughton of Cawston for his daughter, Judith, and her husband Thomas Harris.
1730 Rugby had 183 houses and a population of 900.
1738 More Rugby town fires.
1744 The common animal pound adjoining Langley's Barn (near the present School Science Room) was transferred to the Butts (Union Street fields).
1746 Edward Boughton (1742 - 46) succeeded to the Manor of Rugby on the death of his father, William Boughton.
Anna Boughton (1746 - 77) became the infant Lady of Rugby Manor following the death of her brother, Edward.
1748 The old Rugby Manor house on the present site of Rugby School, was bought by the Trustees from Mrs Rebecca Pennington, daughter of Henry Plowman.
1750 Rugby School moved to a new large school room that had been added to the old Rugby Manor House.
1765 Anna Boughton married Alexander Hume (d. 1794, Enfield, Middx).They levied a "fine" so that he became the Lord of the Manor of Rugby.
1767 Lord Craven bought the advowson of Parish church. Church was re-pewed.
1769 Original workhouse for parish of Rugby opened in North Street
1774 1560 acres of open fields in Rugby Parish were enclosed and divided up under an Act of 1773.
1775 Fire Engine given to Rugby by Henry Wilson.
1781 Inquest of Sir Theodosius Boughton at the 'Bear and Ragged Staff Inn’. Capt Donellan was hanged for his murder.
1783 Lawrence Sheriff’s 'Mansion House', the original school site, pulled down and four new almshouses were erected.
1791 William Butlin, draper of Rugby died aged 61. His widow, Ann, acquired the banking business of Samuel Clay in that year and traded as Ann Butlin & Son.
1792 Organ from Norton-by-Galby, Leicestershire, built by Bernard Smith, bought for £395 for Parish church.
1794 Abraham Hume (1769 -1846), of Bilton Grange, became the Lord of the Manor of Rugby on the death of his father, Alexander.
1797 South Aisle of Parish Church enlarged to the east.
1801 Abraham Caldecott (1763-1829) purchased Manor of Rugby from his nephew Abraham Hume.
1803 Baptist Church built at the corner of Gas Street and Castle Street by Sir Egerton Leigh (1762-1818).
1809 School House built on the site of the old Manor House (see entries for 1748 & 1750)
1814 Rugby School boys ceased to attend Parish church due to insufficient room; they used Great School instead, until School Chapel was built.
Bear & Ragged Staff Inn converted to house and shop by Mr Voile.
1816 Punishment by pillory abolished; it stood near the corner of the George Inn in Market Place.
Old Big Side playing field created from three smaller fields at Rugby School.
1818 10 parishes, including Rugby, formed a poor law union and built a new workhouse in Lower Hillmorton Road to accommodate 130.
Rugby Bank for Savings established. It catered for the savings of “the prudent and frugal” and was secured by the personal funds of its trustees.
1819 Building of Rugby School chapel started (completed in 1821).
1823 Wesleyan (Methodist) Chapel erected in Chapel Street (Swan St), replacing chapel in Harrals Court off Drury Lane.
William Webb Ellis reputedly introduced running with the ball into Rugby School football.
Rowell & Sons established first printing press in Rugby by printing a pamphlet for the Bible Society.
1825 The Rev. John Moultrie MA (1799-1874) was appointed Rector of St Andrew’s Parish Church.
1826 Thomas Caldecott (1798 -1875) takes over from his father as Lord of the Manor.
1828 Dr Thomas Arnold appointed Head Master of Rugby School.
Another four Lawrence Sheriff almshouses built and the earlier eight were renovated in line with the new ones. Each almshouse was also given a porch.
1830 South aisle of parish church enlarged further, requiring Richard Elborowe and wife to be re-interred in a new grave.
Malin’s Pool, in Warwick Street between Union Street and Bilton Road, filled in.
Caldecott (later Trinity) School built in Church Street on the site of the horse pool, opposite the Squirrel Inn, the gift of Thomas Caldecott.
First formal planning application made for the London-Birmingham railway.
1832 Cholera epidemic in Rugby.
1833 Henry Giffney's map of Rugby & adjoining parishes published; scale 2.95 inch to one mile - 1:21,478.
1834 Old 304ft contour Oxford Canal improved by building new sections removing the longer loops from the main route, saving 13 miles between Napton and Coventry.
1835 National Provincial Bank was the first of the multiple banks to set up in the town by opening in Market Place.
1836 New Rugby Poor Law Union formed with 39 parishes.
1837 Street lamp posts erected in Rugby, but not fitted with lamps!
Miss Day's boarding and day school established in Little Church Street.
1838 Rugby Gas Company formed with a Capital of 150 £20 shares; its first gas works built in Railway Terrace.
London & Birmingham Railway opened with Rugby’s first station beside the bridge in Newbold Road.
1839 Gas street lighting was introduced in the town, with 47 lamps.
Queen Adelaide (widow of King William IV) visits Rugby School on 21st Oct.
1840 Midland Counties Railway opened and Rugby became a junction. A new station built with access by Railway Terrace.
Kightlow Constabulary formed replacing parish constables in the Hundred of Knightlow (including Rugby).
1841 St Matthew's Church built, as district church in St Andrew’s Parish.
Primitive Methodist Church built on corner of Queen and Russell Streets.
College for the Deaf and Dumb opened in Castle Street by Mr Henry Brothers Bingham.
1842 Dr Thomas Arnold, headmaster of Rugby School died.
W I Tait set up his own printing press in Rugby.
William Gilbert (rugby ball maker) moves to a new building in St Matthew’s Street from 19 High Street.
1844 Rugby Cricket club formed, playing first match in a field off Bilton Road.
1845 St Matthew's Elementary School opened in Pennington Street.
First Catholic Mission opened at 7 Chapel Street.
1846 First edition of Rugby Advertiser was published with cover price of 1d by W.I.Tait.
Last meeting of the Rugby Court Leet was held.
Worst streets of Rugby were drained by the Parish highway surveyors.
The town was provided with a new fire engine in October.
George Inn in Market Place demolished and rebuilt as George Hotel.
1847 St Marie’s Catholic Church built.
Trent Valley Railway between Rugby and Stafford opened.
Queen Victoria and family stop at Rugby Station while her train changes engines. This was observed by large numbers of townspeople.
1848 Rugby Benefit Building & Investment Society established in High Street.
1849 Rugby Board of Health formed. (Rugby and Croydon were the first towns to create a Local Board under the Public Health Act of 1848.)
St Marie’s church was opened by Bishop Wiseman.
The Wesleyans opened a day school behind their chapel in Chapel Street.
A detailed map of Rugby Parish was published at a scale of about 1:4874 (13 inches to a mile). It may have been surveyed by Frederick Wood (c1807 – 1893).
1850 Post Office moved from High Street to the corner of Chapel Street.
Rugby to Market Harborough railway line opened.
Catherine Butlin endowed six almshouses in Stephen Street for ‘six poor women of Rugby’.
1851 Rugby to Leamington Railway opened.
Ordnance Survey large scale town plan produced by Capt. Beatty R.E.
Haswell’s brickyard recorded as being on Dunchurch Road below Catholic Church.
1852 St Matthew's School build premises for older children in Bridget Street; infants remained at Pennington Street.
105 foot high water tower in Barby Road was brought into use. Its capacity was 56,000 gallons.
1853 Count William Ferdinand Wratislaw, solicitor, (b 1788) died.
G H Walker of Newbold purchased the Victoria Quarry at New Bilton.
New Rugby Divisional Police Station and Lock Up erected in Plowman Street.
1854 Holy Trinity completed to designs by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Town Hall Company Ltd formed.
1856 Richard Elborowe's school and almshouses, moved to Hill Street and St John Street respectively, when their original site in High Street was purchased for building of Town Hall.
Mr Hopewell’s Ilminster Academy, Classical & Commercial School, opened in Albert Street; it had relocated from Edgeworth Cottage (North Street).
Temperance Society formed.
1857 Rugby Flour and Bread Co Ltd established.
Rugby Gazette first published on 20th May by Thomas Rogers and Anthony Thomas Read, with a cover price of 2d.
Warwickshire Constabulary formed providing cover for the whole County except certain boroughs which retained their separate forces.
1858 Town Hall and Corn Exchange (with indoor market) opened in High Street (cost about £6,500).
1859 Volunteer Rifle Company formed.
1860 St Matthew's Church enlarged.
Catherine Butlin’s Almshouse Charity was further endowed by her will when she died in December 1859.
1861 A regular cab stand established in Market Place.
First Rugby Working Men's club formed at Eagle Hotel, but short lived.
1862 Rugby Benefit & Building Investment Society re-formed as Rugby Provident Permanent Benefit Building Society.
The Rugby Co-operative Society Ltd established, opening a store in North Street shortly afterwards.
1863 Rugby Waterworks Act allows extraction of water from River Avon at new works in Mill Lane.
Clifton Road Cemetery opened in November.
1864 Enlargement of St Marie’s by Edward Pugin completed.
St Oswald’s, New Bilton opened as a mission chapel to St Mark’s, Bilton.
Rugby Savings Bank closed due to the introduction of Government secured Post Office Savings Banks.
1865 Congregationalists hold their first services in Town Hall.
Rugby Gazette sold to James Kenning.
G H Walker opened the Rugby Clay, Lime, Cement, & Brick Co Ltd at New Bilton.
1866 Rugby Benefit Building Society established; it traded as the Rugby Freehold Land Society.
The Sanitary Act of this year compelled local authorities to improve local conditions and remove health hazards.
1867 Congregational Church built in Albert Street.
Rugby Football Club formed.
St Oswald’s, New Bilton, becomes a separate parish.
1868 Public Schools Act passed by Parliament.
National Provincial Bank moved to Church Street; it later became the National Westminster and then the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The multiple bank, Lloyds Banking Company, sets up in Rugby having taken over the local bank of A Butlin & Son.
1869 The nursing house in Pennington Street, with 6 beds for the sick and injured of Miss Frances Nicholson’s school, was opened to the public.
Methodist Church opened in Market Place; the Chapel Street building was taken over by its day school.
The rights and privileges (inc. market rights) of the Lord of the Manor were surrendered to the Local Board of Health.
Thomas Hunter Ltd established in Mill Road as a railway wagon builder and repairer.
1870 Parish church ceased to ring the "Curfew Bell" at 5am and 8pm.
Statute fair moves to Reynolds Field, east of Trinity Church.
Co-operative Society store moves to Chapel Street site.
New gas works opened in Wood Street.
1871 Old Star Inn demolished. It projected from the building line and restricted entry into Warwick Street.
Rugby Gazette renamed Rugby Gazette and Midland Times.
The Rugby Football Union founded.
1872 St Marie’s new tower and spire completed (200ft high).
The Pennington Street nursing house moves to the former Deaf and Dumb College in Castle Street, and becomes the Rugby Hospital and Nursing House.
Rugby Blue Lias Cement and Brick Co. re-founded as the Rugby Portland Cement Co. Ltd.
A new Working Men’s Club opened in Castle Street. (It closed in 1879).
1873 Rugby Football Club affiliated to Rugby Football Union.
Rugby Flour and Bread Co. flour mill in New Bilton burnt down.
1874 Smallpox outbreak in Rugby. Isolation Hospital built near the water tower in Barby Road.
Rev J. Moultrie MA died from smallpox after ministering to the sick at the Isolation Hospital.
Whitehall Road recreation ground purchased by the Local Board for a cattle market site, but never used as such.
1875 Volunteer Fire Brigade formed.
Rugby Gas Company converted to Rugby Gas Light and Coke Co, with capital of £50,000.
St Matthew’s became a separate parish.
1876 Rugby now has a continuous supply of water. Most street pumps and wells abolished.
Lawn Tennis club formed at Rugby Cricket Club ground.
1877 Cabmen’s shelter erected in Market Place.
Dr Temple laid foundation stone of Primitive Methodist chapel in Railway Terrace, replacing Queen Street building.
St Andrew’s Parish Church rebuilt to William Butterfield's design.
The Whitehall Recreation Ground, ’The Rec’, was opened in Hillmorton Road (see entry for 1874).
1878 Lawrence Sheriff Lower School opened to maintain free education of local boys under terms of Rugby School Act so main school could become fully fee paying.
Cattle Market moved to Craven Road site near to Railway Station.
Rugby’s turnpike trusts disbanded and toll gates removed.
A rugby football match between Rugby & Lutterworth was played under electric light.
New railway engine sheds built (to hold 125 locos).
1879 The old Whitehall demolished.
Campbell’s Coffee Tavern opened in the former Working Men’s Club in Castle Street.
A National school was built in New Bilton for 200 children.
1881 Northampton loop-line opened, forming sixth route from Rugby.
St Oswald’s church enlarged to designs by Bodley and Garner.
Severe gale uprooted several elm trees in School Close.
Baptist Chapel in Castle Street rebuilt in September to provide more capacity.
Rugby Corset Co formed with capital of £5000.
Campbell’s Coffee Tavern moved to Church Street, beside Church Walk
1882 St Andrew’s (Murray) Boys school opened off Bath Street.
Start of building of St Cross Hospital.
Corset factory opened in Spring Street.
Rugby Gas Light & Coke Company re-incorporated by Act of Parliament. It was renamed the Rugby Gas Co.
Rugby Football Club move to present ground off Bilton Road, (now known as Webb Ellis Road).
Salvation Army starts meeting in Albert Hall, Albert Street (in former roller skating rink).
1883 Wesleyan Chapel built in Cambridge Street at a cost of £900.
Rugby Cycling Club formed.
Co-operative stores opened in Cross Street.
1884 Hospital of St Cross opened. Cost £17,000, the gift of Richard Henry Wood.
1885 Rugby Town and Trade Improvement Association founded.
Methodist Day School in Chapel Street relocates to a new building on another site in Chapel Street.
Freeman, Hardy and Willis, the boot and shoe retailer, opens in Market Place.
Arthur George Salter purchased Mrs Griffin's menswear business in High Street; now known as Salters.
1886 The 3rd L&NWR station completed on current site; this site is 90 yards to the east of the 1840 station.
1887 Rupert Brooke, poet, was born at 5, Hillmorton Road.
The number of gas lit street lamps had increased to 254.
1888 Upper storey added to St Andrew’s Caldecott School in Church Street.
1889 J Parriss, watchmaker, established at 26 Church Street; now in Regent Street.
A clock tower was completed in Market Place to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee and handed over to the Local Board in January.
A new St Matthew's School was built girls. The 1852 was then limited to boys.
1890 Police were provided with a hand cart ambulance, based at Plowman Street.
1891 Public Library opened on present site in a former school building, the gift of R.H.Wood.
Rugby Corset Co. Ltd became R & W H Symington.
1893 A steam fire engine was added to the Voluntary Fire Brigade’s equipment.
1895 Rugby Urban District Council created, taking over the functions of the Rugby Local Board of Health.
Benn School opened in Craven Road for up to 500 children.
Boots the Chemist established in High Street; now in Clock Towers shopping area.
Rugby Town and Trade Improvment Association was dissolved.
1896 Willans and Robinson Works established.
North-East Tower and Spire added to St Andrew's Church.
1898 Town’s first telephone exchange opened in Little Church Street.
Salvation Army Citadel opened in Castle Street.
1899 Great Central Railway and Station in Hillmorton Road opens.
British Thomson-Houston Co. (BTH) buy first plot of land in Mill Road.
1899 Willans’ Works fully operational, later becoming English Electric, GEC and then Alstom.
Rugby Police Station connected to the National Telephone Company's exchange.
1900 Rugby Urban District Council (Rugby UDC) offices moved from old Town Hall to newly built Benn Buildings in High Street on site of former 'Shoulder of Mutton Inn'.
1901 New Post Office opened in Albert Street on February 17.
St Peter's Church opened in Clifton Road.
1902 BTH start production at Mill Road site, later becoming AEI, GEC, Alstom, Converteam and GE.
A branch of the Midland Counties District Bank opened in Market Place.
1903 Rugby UDC created an Electricity Undertaking to supply electricity to the public, using generators installed in the BTH factory power house.
Arnold High School founded in Elsee Rd (later became Rugby High School).
1904 The first dedicated horse drawn ambulance in Rugby, the ‘Mary Wood’ Ambulance, becomes operational.
Caldecott Park opened without ceremony.
1905 The County Police Station moved from Plowman Street to a new building in Railway Terrace.
Lloyds Bank moved to a new building on its present site at 14 Church Street.
1906 Rugby Baptist Church opens in St Andrew’s Street (later renamed Regent Place), replacing Gas Street Chapel.
1907 Princess Beatrice (wife of Prince Henry of Battenburg) opens the Children's Wing at St Cross.
1909 King Edward VII visits town to open Temple Speech Room at Rugby School.
1910 Palace Theatre (became the Hippodrome in 1913) opened in Railway Terrace.
Indoor Swimming Baths opened in St Andrew’s Street (later renamed Regent Place).
The upper floor of the old Town Hall became Vint's Palace Cinema. It was severely damaged by fire in 1921.
1913 The Empire “Cinema De Luxe” opened in Henry Street. It became the Scala in 1923.
1914 Great War begins August 4th.
St Philips church opened in Wood Street.
1916 Lodge Plug factory built in St Peter's Road.
The successors to the Midlands Counties District Bank in Market Place were acquired by Barclays Bank.
1918 Great War ends with an armistice on 11th November.
1919 Arnold High School taken over by the local authority.
1920 Rugby Day Continuation School founded in Lower Hillmorton Road on Rugby College site.
The Picture House cinema (later Regent and Century) opened in June in Bank Street.
Winston Churchill rented School Field, the home of H C Bradby, for the six week polo season.
Rugby Town Hall Company was wound up in August. The building was purchased by the International Promotion Syndicate.
1921 New Bilton Methodist Mission opened in Lawford Road.
1922 Woolworths opens in High Street in the old Town Hall building
1923 Hippodrome Theatre in Railway Terrace renamed as the Prince of Wales.
Public electricity supply now received from the Leicestershire and Warwickshire Power Co, instead of from the generators in BTH Power House.
1925 Percival Guildhouse (adult education centre) founded in Matthew Bloxam's former house in St Matthews Street.
1927 Arnold High School for Girls moves to Clifton Road and is renamed as Rugby High School.
The Rugby Freehold Society ceased to act as a Land Society and used its registered name of Rugby Benefit Building Society.
1928 Campbell's Coffee Tavern becomes the Corner House Restaurant and Hotel.
The Day Continuation & the Technical and Art Schools merged as The Rugby College of Technology and Arts.
1929 The open air Avon Mill Swimming Pool opened in July.
Duchess of York opens the Out Patients’ Department at St Cross Hospital.
Mrs Edith Yates, widow of the late Harry Yates, on July 4th became the first woman to be elected as a councillor of the Rugby UDC.
1930 Rugby Town Silver Prize Band wins Daily Mirror Challenge Cup.
Duke of York (later King George VI) tours BTH Works.
Bennfield House in North Street demolished and site used to build a new Post Office.
The Picture House Cinema (see 1920) was renamed as the Regent Cinema.
1932 Rugby Municipal Borough formed with Wednesday, 19th October being its Charter day.
Mary, the Princess Royal, opens the new Sun Pavilion at St Cross.
The Corner House Restaurant and Hotel was sold to the Rugby Gas Company for use as a showroom.
St Andrew's Church House, Castle Street, (the former Baptist Church) was sold to Rugby Brotherhood in December.
1933 The Prince of Wales re-opens as the Regal cinema. It eventually closed its doors in 1953.
Plaza cinema opened in North Street on Monday 30th January; renamed as the Granada in 1946.
The cabmen’s shelter in Market Place was removed.
1934 New water tower near Ashlawn Road brought into use.
Post Office relocates to a new building in North Street on 5th March.
Church Street, Whitehall Road and part of Clifton Road were lighted by electric (mercury vapour) lamps.
Telephone exchange relocates to Albert Street.
1936 The first pedestrian crossings in Rugby with "Belisha Beacons" were installed in Church Street and Market Place.
1937 Council Offices move from Benn Buildings to The Lawn in Newbold Road.
Marks and Spencer move into the Benn Buildings.
Rugby Borough Council agrees to one-way traffic in Sheep Street and High Street.
1939 Second World War begins on 3rd September.
1942 Duke of Kent inspects Civil Defence units at BTH and on School Close.
1944 Salvation Army Citadel moves to Bennfield Road.
1945 Second World War ends with surrender of Germany and Japan.
Winston Churchill visits Rugby to campaign for the Conservative candidate, Lt Col John Lakin.
1948 Warwickshire County Fire Brigade created.
Rugby Workhouse infirmary transferred to the National Health Service & renamed St Lukes Hospital in 1949.
Control of the electricity supply in Rugby was transferred from the RBC to East Midlands Electricity Board.
Locomotive Testing Station opened at Rugby by British Railways.
1949 Rugby Theatre opens in the former Scala cinema in Henry Street. The first production was on 5 December.
The West Midlands Gas Board took over responsibility for supplying gas in Rugby from the Rugby Gas Company.
1951 Symington’s corset factory switched their manufacturing to modern underclothes.
1952 Johnny Williams (1926 – 2007) wins British and Empire Heavyweight boxing title.
1953 General Market moved from Market Place to Church Street.
1954 William Temple College moved from Hawarden, N Wales to the old parish Rectory in Little Church Street. Its purpose was to promote theological and social studies. It relocated to Manchester Business School in 1971.
1955 Royal George Hotel, in Market Place, demolished.
St Margaret’s Presbyterian Church opened and dedicated in Hillmorton Road.
1958 Newly built Corporation Street opened to traffic, as single carriageway.
1959 Rugby twinned with Evreux in Normandy, France.
1961 Lawrence Sheriff Alms Houses move to Dunchurch Road.
Rugby High School opened its new buildings in Longrood Road, Bilton, on 4th May.
New Town Hall and Benn Memorial Hall opened by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, on 5th July.
Lodge Plugs acquired by Smiths Industries.
The Century cinema closes its doors for the last time.
1962 Old Midland Counties Railway main line from Leicester closed.
1964 Duke of Edinburgh visits Smiths Industries (formerly Lodge Plugs).
1965 Rugby railway locomotive shed and testing station closed.
Barclays Bank relocated from Market Place to 36 North Street.
Corporation Street became a dual-carriageway.
In December the first scheduled electric passenger train arrived at Rugby on its way to Liverpool.
1966 Rugby to Market Harborough railway line closed in June.
Original water tower in Barby Road (see 1852 entry) demolished.
Fire Station removed from Chapel Street to Corporation Street.
1967 Queen Elizabeth II opens the Queen's Gates in Rugby School Close and tours the English Electric Works.
Symingtons Corset Factory acquired by Courtaulds.
1969 Great Central Railway closed. Services south of Rugby had ceased in 1966.
1970 Gas works in Wood Street closed on conversion of supply to natural gas.
1972 Rugby Day Continuation School closed, following the raising of school leaving age to 16.
1973 Indoor Swimming Baths in Regent Place closed and demolished the following year.
Ken Marriott Sports Centre opens with new indoor swimming baths.
1974 Rugby Municipal Borough and Rural District Councils combine to form the present Rugby District Borough.
1975 Congregational Church in Albert Street closed on merger with St Margaret’s Presbyterian Church in Hillmorton Road to form the Rugby United Reformed Church.
New Police Station and Magistrate's Court completed in Newbold Road.
1976 Granada cinema closed, later reopened as a bingo hall.
1977 The open air Avon Mill swimming pool closed.
Rugby twinned with Russelsheim, Germany.
The Rugby Ambulance Station was removed to Brownsover Lane in July.
1979 New indoor shopping precinct (Clock Towers) opened in town centre.
1981 Gyratory system opened in January, work having started in 1979.
Market Place Methodist Church sold off and demolished.
1983 Holy Trinity Church closed and demolished.
Rugby Provident Building Society merges with Hinckley Permanent Building Society to create Hinckley and Rugby Building Society.
VS Rugby wins the FA Vase at Wembley Stadium, beating Halesowen 1-0.
Post Office returns to the site of the 1901 building in Albert Street in April.
1984 The Methodist Church Centre built in Russelsheim Way, replacing the Methodist churches in Market Place, Railway Terrace & New Bilton. The Cambridge Street Methodists joined them shortly afterwards.
Wood Street gas works site cleared for re-development.
1988 Diana, Princess of Wales visits Herbert Gray College, the HQ of the Marriage Guidance Council (now Relate).
Rupert Brooke statue in Regent Place unveiled.
1991 Rugby hosts launch of 2nd Rugby World Cup with ceremony and re-enactment on Rugby School Close.
1992 Symington’s Corset factory closed down (had by then been making swim suits).
Morgan Matroc takes over Smiths Industries Ceramics in St Peters Road.
1993 Diana, Princess of Wales visits Bosnian refugees at Fawsley House in Hillmorton Road.
St Luke’s Hospital closes for patients and for the remaining NHS services in 1994.
1995 A large residential development gets under way at Cawston.
1997 Rugby Public Library closes its original buildings and moves to temporary buildings near Chapel Street.
William Webb Ellis statue unveiled outside Rugby School by Jeremy Guscott in September.
2000 Rugby Library, Museum and Art Gallery open in new £3.5M building in Little Elborow Street.
New awnings replace the single, overall roof at Rugby Station.
RMC Group (formerly Ready Mixed Concrete Ltd) acquired the cement activities of the Rugby Group plc.
The new Rugby cement works was fully commissioned in July.
2002 Mill Road Water Works closed; water treatment plant moved to Draycote.
Rugby Myton Day Hospice opens in grounds of St Cross Hospital.
Rugby FM Radio station starts its transmission from Spring Street Studios.
Grays International purchases the Gilbert rugby football and netball business.
2003 Rugby College merges with the larger Warwickshire College.
St Philip's Church closed in May.
2005 Morgan Technical Ceramics (formerly Smith Industries Ceramics) relocates to Central Park by J1 of M6 motorway and the St Peter’s Road site sold for housing development.
Cemex completes the acquisition of Rugby Cement from RMC in March.
2008 Rugby Station development completed with new platforms and booking hall.
Cattle Market moves to Stoneleigh and Craven Road site sold for development.
2009 ASDA supermarket and Swan Court area opens.
Blue Bin comprehensive refuse recycling scheme iwas ntroduced by the Rugby Borough Council.
Caldecott Park refurbished under Heritage Lottery Fund scheme.
Woolworths High Street store closed down following liquidation of the company.
2010 Rugby Western Relief Road opened on September 10th. Construction had started in 2007.
Warwickshire College, Rugby, relocates to Technology Drive on former BTH site.
2012 Former Granada Cinema in North Street demolished.
St Matthew’s Church in Warwick Street was closed and merged with St Oswald’s Church, New Bilton.
The former Rugby College site in Lower Hillmorton Rpad was cleared for re-development.
The former St Philip's Church is re-opened by the Rugby United Pentecostal Church.
2013 The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Leisure Centre opened in August replacing the Ken Marriott Leisure Centre.
The Rugby Ambulance Station in Brownsover Lane closed in November.