The first gas works in Rugby was opened in Gas Street in the 1830's. By the 1870's a larger works was opened beside the railway in Wood Street. Gas holders remained on the original site until the turn of the century when a holder was built in Newbold Road, opposite Wood Street. In 1929 C & W Walker built a second holder. The gas works closed on the conversion to natural gas c 1970. Both of the Newbold Road holders were demolished in 1984.
A water tower was opened in Barby Lane in 1851 collecting water from adjacent fields. The Mill Road works taking water from the Avon opened in 1864. The water tower was demolished in 1965 but some buildings remained on the site until recently.